Get fit for life
There's much more to the athletics story at the American Hebrew Academy than just team sports, but that's a good place to start.
Get in the game
For a small school, there's a big selection. We offer many different interscholastic sports teams and compete in the Triad Athletic Association league, one of the most prestigious leagues in North Carolina. Most of our students try out for a team; we offer over 15 varsity sports including baseball, basketball, cheerleading, cross-country, soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field, and volleyball. Naturally, your coaches know you as a person -- many are also your teachers, advisors, and houseparents. Our students have become state champions, academic athletes, all conference award winners, and state "all stars." We also participate in regional tournaments with other private schools from around the Southeast and Washington, D.C.
We have facilities on campus that allow students every opportunity to get in shape and have a great time doing it. Our Athletic Center is always busy with a competition-sized eight lane pool, basketball courts, rock climbing walls, a wrestling/multifunction room, racquetball court, cardiovascular equipment and a variety of exercise equipment. All of our sports fields have outdoor lighting and are professionally maintained to collegiate standard. We also have a boathouse that sits on the shore of our 22-acre lake. All of this allows us to offer a variety of options outside of interscholastic sports, such as aerobic and anaerobic training, kayaking, sailing, golf, karate/self defense, lacrosse, racquetball, rock climbing, softball, swing dancing, tennis, touch football, ultimate frisbee, weight training, and yoga.
Break a sweat
When it comes to athletics, here's our philosophy: getting fit and staying fit is a way of life. Whether you're a standout athlete or just enjoy a healthy jog or an intense workout, we're here to support you.
Athletic Facilities at the Academy
Our sports facilities are "first class" from our collegiate-level athletic fields to our $15 million 88,000 sq. ft. athletic center and natatorium, complete with a rock climbing facility and "waveless" competition swimming pool. We maintain 2 soccer fields, 1 practice field, a baseball field, softball field, soccer stadium with 440m track and 6 tennis courts, all with outdoor lighting for year round play
At the American Hebrew Academy, we believe in educating mind, body, and soul. As for the body, we require all students to take physical education courses or participate in team sports each year in order to meet graduation requirements.
Our coaching staff reflects a serious commitment to Academics and Athletics. They lead by example.
- Phil Papier, Dean of Athletics - MS, Sports Studies; 2 time Washington Post high school basketball coach of the year - Potomac Valley Athletic Conference; League President - Potomac Valley Athletic Conference; 30 years in Athletic Administration and Sports Camps
- Mike Johnston, Associate Athletic Director - MS Sports Physiology; 3 time soccer coach of the year - Triad Athletic Conference; former College Soccer Coach - Guilford College
- Danielle Ross, Athletic Trainer - MS Athletic Training; Certified Athletic Trainer, NC, College Lacrosse Player
- Kevin Thornton, Aquatics Director/Swim coach - MS Exercise Physiology; Rhode Island Swimming Hall of Fame, and Brown University Athletics Hall of Fame as Varsity Swim Coach (Division 1 and Ivy League); Coached Olympic Medalist in swimming
- Dr. DeAnne Brooks, Track and Field - PhD Sports Science; former Division 1 Track and Field Coach (Elon University); College All American in Track and Field UNC
- Dr. Aaron Terranova, Track and Cross Country - Sports Medicine at UNCG
- Jean Lojko, Volleyball - MS Heath and Physical Education (Appalachian State University); 34 years at Greensboro College; inducted in both the Greensboro College and Guilford County Sports Halls of Fame
- Tom Christopher, English Teacher and Cross Country Coach